August 13, 2009

mommy, is that a boy or a girl?

About 8 months ago I took my then 5 year old daughter with me to this store (can't remember the name of it) and we did some expedite shopping. You know the can of shopping you do when you children keep asking you "are we done yet?". While in line at the register, my daughter like any other child starts asking for candy. You know the candy the store purposely places by the register knowing that your cranky child would want some and fuss until you give up and by it. To make a long story short, after fussing with her it was our turn to pay. I'm busy trying to make sure I'm not being overprice and that the items on sale are scan properly, you know doing what every savvy shopper will do. When my daughter looks at me and asks "mommy is that a boy or a girl?" What?! Could she have not chosen a better time to ask that?! I looked up and realize that the person at the register is a Butch (my friend's definition for a woman who dresses like a man and looks like a man). My first instinct was to ssh her. And then I realize that she has to right to ask. I felt kind of bad for the lady at the register but really she is just a kid and as a mom I can't just not answer because then she'll always be with the uncertainty. Of course I didn't answer her in front of the cashier, I waited until we got to the car and explain to her that she is a woman but she likes getting dressed like that and that is why she looks like a boy. Now I'm sorry and I hope I don't get judge for my answer but she is just a kid and a whole lesbian and gay talk was not necessary. Plus I hate people who stereotype just because the gal decided to dress manly. What I can tell you though is that I laughed my heels off in the car because of the innocence involved in the question. I wish that many more people will looked at each other with the same innocence my daughter looked at that lady without judging her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wheels here we go!